Sunday 19 May 2013

Lavender Cupcakes



Happy World Baking Day :)
 
   I brought some lavender essence from a fair and thought that I would use some as it is a typically ‘spring’ fragrance. The cupcakes had a grey tinge as I took them out of the oven (courtesy of the purple food colouring) so I don’t think I’ll do that again!
Brushing Apricot Jam onto the flowers
   For the icing, I split a small amount of white fondant into two smaller parts. I added 2 drops of red colouring to one to make baby pink icing. Then, I rolled it out, cut out 6 varying flowers and 2 large circles to cover the cupcakes with. I repeated with the other piece of icing, but I dyed it purple. Using apricot jam, I stuck the fondant onto the cake. I chose to make some pastel coloured buttercream and the pink turned out nicely but the purple icing went grey. I need to work out how to stop my purple icing from going grey!
The finished flower cupcakes




2 comments: