Sunday 16 June 2013

Father's Day Cupcakes



The components for peas and tomatoes
   My dad recently got a vegetable patch in our garden and he’s quite serious about it so for Father’s Day I thought I’d make him some allotment cupcakes. I rolled out a red, green and a small amount of white fondant. I rolled most of the red fondant into 3 balls for tomatoes. Next I rolled out a thick sausage and pushed some spaghetti inside to give it support.
The finished cakes - with soil!
    


   Then I flattened one end and added a handle to the other end of the spade. I rolled out two green sausages and tapered the ends before adding ridges along the cucumbers. For cabbages, I thinly rolled fondant before cutting into circles and glued them to a centre cone. This gives the cabbages realistic leaves. I made peas in pods by cutting semi-circles of green icing and using edible glue to stick everything together. Lastly, I made spring onions by rolling green fondant around a white icing cone.

Dad with his cakes and allotment books!
   


   To construct the cakes I thickly sieved cocoa powder over vanilla cupcakes and arranged the vegetables on the ‘soil’!



1 comment: