Sunday 13 October 2013

Kirsty’s 21st Birthday Cake


covering the cake with chocolate icing
   It was my sister’s 21st birthday earlier this month and I wanted to make her a special cake to celebrate. She loves chocolate cake so my assessor made a 6 inch and a 3 inch cake. I the n went to her house to decorate and carve a topsy turvey cake. First of all, the cake was cold when I cut a slant in the top of the cake. Then I created an inverted shape to make the cake look precarious when it’s actually stable. I did the same with the 3 inch cake. Next I covered the whole cake in a thin layer of pre-made chocolate buttercream. I rolled out modelling chocolate and with some assistance from Claire, covered the larger of the two cakes.
preparing the fondant flowers
I covered the smaller cake in yellow fondant and this was much harder because the cake was so small and the angles were very tricky. Next I used a generous amount of buttercream to stick the two cakes toether. To cover up the bottom of each cake I measured a thin ribbon of icing in the alternate colour. For the decoration, I cut 2 different size
putting the flowers on the cake
flowers out of yellow and chocolate icing and I made a centre from the opposite colour icing.  To put the flowers on the cake I used edible glue and put the flower on the opposite colour cake. Lastly I carved “21” out of icing and stuck it on the cake.


A close up of the cake
Kirsty with the cake :)




No comments:

Post a Comment